Note: This time of year is always very busy for me. Last year, I hadn't really started blogging yet, so I was able to keep myself above the craziness. This year, I am. My blog is slightly inactive due to the holiday craze. Hopefully will return to the regular posting after the new year. :)

-Bri

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Review - A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

Amazon Link
Goodreads Link


Page Number: 272 Pages
Overall Rating: 4 Stars

We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be forgotten.

Charlotte's best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she's cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what's really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.

But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become—her mark on this earth, her very existence—is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.

Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny—no matter how dark the consequences?

   After reading the summary, this seemed like my type of book. However, after I read the first chapter, I was a bit wary. The use of teenage slang was a bit obvious and a little overused. I'll admit that I was a bit turned off, because this is something that usually carries throughout books and it always grates on my nerves. I put it down for a while, partially because I was busy, partially because I wasn't completely excited to jump back into it.
   However.
   I did pick it back up, and I'm very happy that I did.
   The book itself was lovely, probably my favorite thing I've ever discovered was a gem when I was wary of reading it (Yes, there are more of them. Maybe I'm too judgmental?). I really enjoyed the idea. I don't think I've ever read anything like it.
   At first, I wasn't entirely sure of Charlotte. One of the first things I read was, "I rarely trust her promises, and yet I'm still here." That just made me angry. It sounded snobbish and I just wasn't fond of that line. But it turned out that Charlotte wasn't a snob, far from it. I ended up rather liking her, in the end.
   I didn't know whether to like Sarah or not, for a while. I decided on the former. Harlin and Charlotte are adorable. Alex is hilarious and Mercy is super sweet. Monroe is interesting and Onika was both frightening and awesome. The entire bunch of characters were all amazing and full of depth.
   Something I particularly loved was the characters that came into the story as Charlotte had Needs. Each one had hit rock bottom. Even though I could only picture it, I adored that Charlotte was changing these people's lives.
    Now, to talk about the thing I always mention, but never explain when people ask me how I like this book. The reason I do this is because it's just hard to explain without sounding like an insult, which it's not. The writing style is unique. A Need So Beautiful isn't necessarily filled with "beautiful" quotes, because it doesn't use heavy metaphors or a lot of complicated similes. I'm not saying that in a negative way. In fact, it's sort of refreshing. As much as I love metaphors and similes, they get a little old after you read a book that's completely weighed down by them. This novel isn't bogged down by them. It's straight up.
    I cried. Like, my dad was giving me weird looks because I was laying on our couch, reading. I totally cried. I don't think I've cried reading a book since I read Delirium.
   I really feel for Charlotte. I wish she could just have her cute little apartment with Harlin, the one with the painting studio, and that she didn't have to be in this situation. She deserves to be happy and normal and I can't even go on, or I'm going to start bawling again.
   The epilogue was confusing, but I think it was meant to be. There's a cliffhanger, so I'm anxiously waiting for the sequel. I have hopes for what'll happen, but I obviously don't know. I'm so confused!


 
   Overall, I really hope you guys pick this book up. I really loved it.

Songs I listened to while reading this book:







3 comments:

April X said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'm excited to read this now! I don't know if I've cried for a book since Delirium either haha

Cary Cheyenne. said...

I love how honest you are within your reviews. I've heard a lot of good things about this book, but I love how you pointed out your turnoffs regarding it. I like when books are hyped up, but not so much that when you read them you're disappointed if they don't live up to the hype. You made it quite clear that this book is worth reading, but it's also not solidified perfection. Great job :)

Anonymous said...

Great review! It sounds like an interesting book. It's been on my TBR list but I wasn't sure if I was going to really want to read it. This has helped! Thanks!

Jenny @ Into The Morning Reads

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile! If you liked the post(or have any questions), then leave a comment! Thanks! :)

--Brielle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...