Note: This time of year is always very busy for me. Last year, I hadn't really started blogging yet, so I was able to keep myself above the craziness. This year, I am. My blog is slightly inactive due to the holiday craze. Hopefully will return to the regular posting after the new year. :)

-Bri

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Rant: Hype.

   Today, I will be ranting again. I'm not sure why, but it seems you guys like it when I rant, so here goes.
   Recently, I picked up a books that I loved a lot. Everyone seems to love it. I scooped up a copy as soon as it came out. But, the thing is, I was genuinely scared to read it. Everyone loved it so much and they've all raved about it so much that before I could ever open the book, I always wondered what would happen if I didn't. I know that's a silly fear, but, honestly, who ever wants to be the odd person out?
    But my friend, who has all sorts of ways to make me do things I'm scared to do (which mainly include sending her rather small dog to come eat me. Which isn't scary, but, you know.). She talked me into reading that book and I ended up seriously adoring it.

In case you have no clue what book I'm talking about, it's Divergent.

    Seriously. I don't know what kept me from reading this one, other than the sort of iffy fright I got when I thought about hating it. I love Dystopian. I love action. I love stuff like this book.

    Yes, hype is good stuff, and, while it helps many people find books, I also think it could cause some to shy away from a book. Books are lovely things, that's something I'm certain of. But not all stories are, and we're bound to not like something eventually.

    For me, Divergent sort of began to take on this big name and it was like one of those things where words like "the" and "that" and "you need to read this book. It's called" became part of it's title, wedging themselves in front of the actual title. It was like Divergent was a big celebrity that everyone adored and I had to choose whether I did, too. How do you tell all of your friends that you hated something they loved?

And, while I didn't hate Divergent, I was certainly a bit timid about reading it before I started.

Let's move on.

Nightshade is another one of those books. Everyone seems to have really adored it and they talk and laugh and discuss the book all the time. I have a lot of friends who have been trying to talk me into reading it for the longest time.

I haven't finished it.

I started Nightshade, for the first time, around October, when it came out. I lost interest and let my friend borrow it and then just moved on. I read other books and I forgot about Nightshade.

About a month ago, I picked it back up. I read it for three days.

It's been sitting on my shelf ever since.

I really should like Nightshade, I suppose. I can't review it, but, as of now, it's just...not for me. And there's not really a reason why it shouldn't be. I adore werewolves (just ask any of my critique partners!) and love triangles and all of that. I just can't get into it, though.

I really wish I could.

You see, it's one of those situations where everyone is bugging you to read it because they want your opinion and you honestly just don't want to give it, because it's not the same. I know it's okay to have my own opinions, I do. But, when it comes to books, something that's as personal as they are to me, it's hard. I don't want to down anyone's favorite book.

The problem is, how do we get over hype? It's not always a good thing, at least not for some readers. I love reading. I love books. But I don't like going into a book, knowing that it has to be amazing, waiting for the moment when it becomes life-changing. Reading a book and knowing how it's supposed to affect you? That's like putting on a hoodie before your shirt. It's not right and it won't feel right. I don't think the point of books is to sit and obsess over what's supposed to happen.

I don't know, guys. What are your opinions on hype?



3 comments:

We Heart YA said...

We agree: too much hype becomes a turn-off instead of a turn-on. We (well, Kristan mostly) had similar problems with Harry Potter and Twilight, and had to wait until all the books were out until we could start reading. It's just that hype raises expectations sky-high, and very few books can actually fly up there.

What we try to do is hype the right book to the right person: "Omg, Sarah, you will LOVE Imaginary Girls. Kristan, maybe not so much." "Ingrid, you HAVE to read Where She Went. Steph, you might not enjoy it as much." That way it's clear that the book, while wonderful for some, may not blow everyone away. Which, really, is true for ALL books.

And yeah, speaking of Divergent, we feel the same way about it that you did before reading. We WANT to read it, but we're a little afraid to. We have it on hold at the library, so hopefully by the time we get it, the hype will have quieted down a bit...

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

It's ok
I'm not a big fan of Nightshade either,The only reason I would pick it up is because of the cliffhanger ending.
You can check out my Thoughts here(I didn't rate it cause I was in two minds about it)

I'm scared to read Divergent too!(I MEAN EVERYONE LIKES IT!)

William Pinn said...

Thanks for posting this!

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile! If you liked the post(or have any questions), then leave a comment! Thanks! :)

--Brielle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...