Note: This time of year is always very busy for me. Last year, I hadn't really started blogging yet, so I was able to keep myself above the craziness. This year, I am. My blog is slightly inactive due to the holiday craze. Hopefully will return to the regular posting after the new year. :)

-Bri

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rant: Hype, Part Two

     Recently, I did a rant on how hype could be a bad thing. Yesterday I was thinking about it and I decided that I should be doing another one, defending the opposite side, as well.

Looking for Alaska by John Green


    I just reviewed this one a couple of days ago, but I did enjoy reading it. I am a nerdfighter, yes, so maybe I would've looked into this one anyways, but still. I was actually looking for reviews of this book when I found the vlogbrothers channel.
    I don't think this book was hyped to the point where I was scared to read it. A lot of people loved it, but not all of them, and they weren't yelling at you to read it.
   
    Oh, by the way: DFTB:)



Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


   I went on a major fail with this one. I thought Demonglass was the first book and it was all pretty stupid of me. I'm pretty sure that if my friend hadn't read it, I'd still be wandering around, wondering if Hex Hall would be a good sequel. 'Nuff said.

    But hype brought the sequel to me through a review. I don't know who reviewed it, but they didn't mention anything about a sequel in their review and I somehow missed the "A Hex Hall novel" on the cover. I added it to my wishlist and then Riley read the first one.



Across the Universe by Beth Revis

    I really loved this one, but, at first, I didn't want to read it. I hadn't gotten into science fiction in YA yet, and I didn't know how I'd like it.

    At one of the chats I went to, AtU was brought up and raved about and it ultimately convinced me to grab a copy. I bought mine around two days after it came out.

    I did read it before I saw too many reviews up. I'm glad about that.


    In all seriousness, hype is fickle. It can be good for one person and bad for another. I certainly don't think we should stop building up books so others can find out about them. I wouldn't have read some of my favorite books if I hadn't joined this community.





1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

We agree: everyone should feel comfortable cheering loud and proud for their favorite reads!

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile! If you liked the post(or have any questions), then leave a comment! Thanks! :)

--Brielle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...