Note: This time of year is always very busy for me. Last year, I hadn't really started blogging yet, so I was able to keep myself above the craziness. This year, I am. My blog is slightly inactive due to the holiday craze. Hopefully will return to the regular posting after the new year. :)

-Bri

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver



 Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Amazon Link
Goodreads Link











Mama, mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.  
I found a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.



Mama, mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth, and went straight for my neck.


Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.

   This book was amazing. It's full of emotion, so you can put yourself in Lena's shoes pretty easily. At first, I wasn't sure about wanting to read this book, because a society where love is a disease, and people are cured from it, didn't sound like my cup of tea. I'm extremely happy that I read it, because it's a beautiful story.
  Lena Haloway, or Tiddle in some cases, wasn't my favorite person in the beginning. She was completely satisfied with being brainwashed and living her life in a hollow shell. But slowly, as the book progresses, she learns a lot about herself and love. Lena grows to despise the government and all the lies she's been fed by them. I love the fact the she was short and 'plain', however she didn't drone on about her imperfections, because Alex made her feel beautiful.
  Alex was wonderful. He was just so incredibly real, with the way he reacted to things and spoke. He was brave and smart, jumping over hurdles for the things he cared about. There's not much I can say, other than he was lovable and amazing.
  Hana was fantastic, as well. At times, I hated her. She was stubborn and occasionally blunt, but I feel it gave her more depth. She is very loyal, a bit competitive, daring, and just a tad spoiled, but she's definitely perfect for Lena's best friend.
  Grace was possibly my favorite character. She's not entirely a main character, but I love her. She doesn't speak, but she understands things better than some of the adults. Her silence is a quirk that I adore.
  Lauren Oliver does a wonderful job of describing things, ways that you wouldn't hear people say, but are just amazing. I love the little quotes from The Book of Shhh and various little poems and things. The quote above is a poem, on the title page of Chapter Six, that I fell in love with. I could have picked a smaller selection, but there were so many lovely descriptions in the entire novel that it would've been impossible for me to pick one.
  This is the first book that has made me cry in a long while, the absolute first to make me sob. I can't wait for the next book, and I already have hopes for it.


Book Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile! If you liked the post(or have any questions), then leave a comment! Thanks! :)

--Brielle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...