Note: This time of year is always very busy for me. Last year, I hadn't really started blogging yet, so I was able to keep myself above the craziness. This year, I am. My blog is slightly inactive due to the holiday craze. Hopefully will return to the regular posting after the new year. :)

-Bri

Monday, July 18, 2011

Review - I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder

I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder


Amazon Link
Goodreads Link

Page Count: 227 Pages
Overall Rating: 3 Stars

Girl meets boy.
Girl loses boy.
Girl gets boy back...
...sort of.

Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds.

    I read this in about an hour. It was a seriously breezy read and I guess that's because it's written in stanza. I've never read a book written in the style and I'm not entirely sure if I'll return to it often, because I didn't totally love this book.
    I'm not saying I hated it, either.
    Sadly, this is just one of those books that lacked in descriptiveness. I understand that books written in verse obviously have to be shorter and, therefore, less detailed, but it bothered me how short the story was. I kept looking at what I had left and sighing, because they story just hadn't given me enough yet and I really, really wanted it to.
    Let me put it this way. Usually, my reviews are kind of long and ranty. I rave about everything. This one? I'm having so much trouble writing it because the book just didn't leave a mark on me. I didn't feel as much as I usually do with books. I don't know, it's odd.
    Something else that bothered me was the fact that the way Jackson died was kept from the reader until the book was nearly over. I understand trying to keep an element of surprise, but this just felt forced. It was like the character was trying to turn half of her brain off. You can't really control what you think about that much, can you?
    Honestly, this is is going to be the shortest review ever because I can't even form coherent thoughts about it. I just don't get it. I didn't feel it and that makes me sad, because I had a lot of hope for this one.

    Guys. This is one of those books that everyone seems to love and I just didn't feel. Oh, the hype. It sometimes lets you down.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! So bummed that you didn't like this one! It was the very first book that I read in verse. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it because I didn't think I would!

Orchid said...

It's always sad when a book doesn't live up to all the hype.
It doesn't really sound like my kind of book, so I probably won't be reading it. =)

Orchid
The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

Raimy from Readaraptor Hatchling said...

oh no! It sucks when you feel this way about a book! I read her newer book, The Day Before, a few weeks ago and loved it!

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile! If you liked the post(or have any questions), then leave a comment! Thanks! :)

--Brielle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...